For many years Warm Saline Gargles (W.S.G.) have been advocated by dentists all over the world as a simple yet effective tool for maintaining good oral health. Doing gargles by adding a pinch of salt mixed in a glass (200 ml) of warm water everyday aids in maintaining a healthy mouth and also soothes the throat and reduces upper respiratory tract infection owing to the antibacterial properties of salt. Although the advancement in Dentistry has been unprecedented over the last few years, yet Warm Saline Gargles have retained its importance due to its convenience and the long list of benefits. In today’s times when a majority of mouth washes have alcohol as high as 20% in them, proven to be a primary factor leading to increase in oral cancer cases, warm salt water gargles are ever more relevant.
Read below for 6 Benefits of this Do-it-at-Home Miracle Oral Health Routine:
- Post Oral Surgery – Doing W.S.G. after oral surgeries like Extractions and Implants reduces the risk of infection and keeps the surgical site clean.
- Patients Suffering from Gum Disease – Patients having gum diseases like Gingivitis and Periodontitis are greatly helped by doing Warm Saline Gargles. The salt changes the microflora of the gum tissue (due to osmosis) by flushing out the harmful bacteria and keeping the gingival margins intact while preventing Bad Breadth (Halitosis).
- Remedy for Tooth Pain – Whenever a cavity is left untreated, it reaches deeper and deeper inside the tooth causing pain. Regularly doing Warm Salt Water Gargles reduces the accumulation of pus caused due to cavity progress, thereby reducing pain.
- Outbreak of Ulcers – Many times there is a spurt of oral ulcers (i.e. Aphthous Ulcers) in certain people. Doing Warm Salt Water Gargles prevents the risk of infection in these patients and also helps in repair of the inflamed mucosa.
- Strengthens the Enamel – Salt has one of the most effective ingredients for maintaining enamel strength and the best-known anti-cavity agent ever – Fluoride.
- Prevents Formation of Plaque – Due to flushing action and antibacterial nature of salt, plaque formation is greatly controlled. It is this plaque that in due course of time gets converted to tartar and causes gum infections.
At Sree Venkateswara Dental Clinics, in our experience we have seen the benefits of Warm Saline Gargles and hence have been advising our patients to do W.S.G. at least once before bedtime everyday for the last 40 years.